STATEMENT BY THE EU PRESIDENCY
The Political Committee reviewed recent developments on Kosovo. It concluded:
- The EU condemns the recent Racak massacre in the strongest possible terms. Belgrade's response to the massacre is totally inadequate.
- The parties to the conflict must refrain from any further acts of violence.
- Belgrade's decision to expel Ambassador Walker is entirely unacceptable and must be rescinded.
- Belgrade must fully cooperate with the Kosovo Verification Mission in accordance with existing Security Council Resolutions and agreements.
- Belgrade must fulfil its obligations under Security Council Resolutions fully to cooperate with the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, in particular to grant entry to the Tribunal's chief prosecutor Mrs Arbour in order to carry out a proper investigation.
- The EU remains fully determined to work towards a political settlement for the Kosovo and will use every means at its disposal to remove obstacles on that way created by the parties to the conflict.